30 THINGS TO DO NEAR FORT STEWART-HUNTER ARMY AIRFIELD GEORGIA
IntroductionWelcome to Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield, home to the historic 3rd Infantry Division. The installation offers a number of recreational activities to enjoy during your time here: bingo, bowling, camping, golfing, swimming, and more. Off post, there's even more to explore. For more information on things to do around Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield, visit the Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Leisure Travel Services website. LTS offers special military discount tickets to many local attractions, as well as national favorites like Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. Whatever travel destinations you seek, LTS staff can help you plan your trips with assistance with airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, and even cruises. Read on to learn about 30 things to do in Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield.
Suggested Read: Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield Georgia: In-Depth Welcome Center
COVID-19 NoticeDue to the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic, the following venues may be operating under limited hours of operation or closed due to post or local community restrictions. Check the venue's website or call for current hours of operation and information on attendance guidelines and restrictions.
30 Things to Do Near Fort Stewart and Hunter Army AirfieldKnow what you are looking for? Click the number(s) to go right to where you want to go: (1) Stewart's Special Events (2-3) Indoor Recreation (4) Bowling (5-9) Gyms (10-16) Pools (17-18) Outdoor Recreation (19) Fishing (20-22) Golfing (23-25) Parks, Rivers, and Lakes (26-27) Shooting Ranges (28-30) Attractions
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Special Events
1. Stewart's Special EventsFort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield offer the military community a number of special events and programs throughout the year. Events include the fall and spring carnivals, with games, amusement rides, food, and more. And the annual Independence Day Celebration has live music and a spectacular fireworks display. For a full list of upcoming events, visit the Stewart-Hunter Family and Morale, Welfare, and Recreation website.
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Indoor RecreationCheck out these post venues for indoor fun away from the sun.
2. Hunter/Stewart Bingo1020 Hero Road Building 405, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-4200 135 Duncan Drive Building 6015, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-4606 Hunter/Stewart Bingo hosts bingo games at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield simultaneously. The caller is at Hunter Army Airfield and is live-streamed to players at Fort Stewart. Paper and computerized options are available. The average payout is $8,300 per night!
3. Club Stewart1020 Hero Road Building 405, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-4717 Club Stewart serves up great food and has a variety of venues for special events. Professional catering and party planning services are available. Special events at Club Stewart include holiday brunches, dinner theater, comedy nights, festivals, and military and civilian social events. Visit the club’s website for menus and details on upcoming events.
Fort Stewart Bowling Alley
4. Marne Bowling Center54 Steele Ave. Building 402, Fort Stewart Phone: 1 (912) 767-4866 Strike up family-friendly fun at Marne Bowling Center. The center has 36 lanes, bumper lanes for children, leagues, and party packages. If you get hungry, grab a snack at the center’s Strike Zone Cafe.
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield GymsFort Stewart has four fitness centers and Hunter Army Airfield has one. Facilities are free of charge to authorized patrons. The centers offer an array of state-of-the-art exercise equipment, exercise classes, sports courts, running tracks, saunas, and more. Amenities vary at each center, so be sure to visit the Stewart-Hunter Family and MWR website for more information.
5. Caro Fitness Center1592 William H. Wilson Ave. Building 708, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-4763
Phone: 1 (912) 435-9306
Phone: 1 (912) 767-5742
Phone: 1 (912) 767-3031
9. Tominac Fitness Center314 Billy Mitchell Blvd. Building 919, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-5078
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield PoolsThe aquatics program at Fort Stewart-Hunter Army Airfield offers lap swimming, water aerobics, open swimming, swimming lessons, and drown-proofing. Visit the installation’s Family and MWR website for more information on pool and splashpark hours of operation and programs.
10. Bryan Village Outdoor PoolBuilding 7098, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-2701
Phone: 1 (912) 767-8575
Phone: 1 (912) 767-9884
13. Hunter Outdoor Pool and SplashparkBehind Building 6015, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-5786
Phone: 1 (912) 435-9306
Phone: 1 (912) 767-3034
16. Tominac Fitness Center Indoor Pool314 Billy Mitchell Blvd. Building 919, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-2819
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Outdoor RecreationWant to explore the great outdoors? Check out these post attractions.
17. Corkan Recreation AreaIntersection of Hero Road and Lindquist Road Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-9884 The Corkan Recreation Area offers affordable indoor and outdoor activities for the whole family. The area includes an outdoor swimming pool, a splashpark, miniature golf, picnic areas, Cypress Sam’s, and a recreation center. Cypress Sam’s is a multilevel, indoor play structure with slides, ball blasters, volcanoes, and more than 6,000 balls to throw, shoot, and play with. The recreation center has roller skating, laser tag, and bounce houses. Party packages and inflatables rentals are also available.
18. Low Country Adventure Centers
Address 1Fort Stewart Road 48 South, off Highway 144 east Building 8325, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 435-8213
Address 2313 Stratofortress Road Building 8454, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-9354 or 1 (912) 315-9554 The Low Country Adventure Centers at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield have everything you need for your outdoor recreation pursuits. The centers have information on post campgrounds, picnic areas and pavilions, shooting ranges, and more. The centers also have a variety of equipment and boats available for rent. You can rent party gear, inflatables, games, campers, trailers, skiffs, deck boats, canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, kite boards, and more.
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Fishing
19. Fishing and Hunting at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army AirfieldThere are many opportunities for hunting and fishing in Georgia, including several on post. Fishing season is year-round in ponds and rivers. Prime bass, redbreast, and crappie are found each spring. Alligator and deer hunting is also allowed during applicable seasons. For information on post access, permits, and gun registration on post, visit the Stewart-Hunter Family and MWR website.
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Golf Courses
20. Hunter Golf Course1548 S. Perimeter Road Building 8205, Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-9115
21. Taylors Creek Golf Course1766 Gulick Ave. Building 2150, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 767-2370 The 18-hole Hunter Golf Course features play among Spanish Oaks and Georgia Pines. The 18-hole, par-72 Taylors Creek Golf Course features a clubhouse with a pro shop and a driving range. Both courses are part of the Southeastern Georgia Adaptive Golf Program. Taylors Creek Golf Course and Hunter Golf Course also offer FootGolf. FootGolf is a sport that combines elements of soccer and golf, with players kicking a soccer ball into a 21-inch cup instead of the regulation 4.25-inch golf hole.
22. Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa1 Resort Drive Savannah, GA 31421
Phone: 1 (912) 201-2000 Found on the Savannah River near Savannah's historic district, the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa is a great place to stay while you take in Savannah sights. The hotel has a day spa, tennis courts, and the only PGA championship golf course in the Savannah area. Fine and casual dining can be found at the resort’s Champions Bar & Grill, Escape Pool Bar & Grill, and Midnight Sun Lounge, as well as coastal dining at Aqua Star.
Parks, Rivers, and Lakes
23. Hallstrom LakePerimeter Road, across from the AAFES gas station Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-9354 Hallstrom Lake has two playgrounds, a fishing pier, and restrooms.
24. Holbrook Pond and CampgroundFort Stewart Road 48 South, off Highway 144 East Building 8325, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 435-8213 or 1 (912) 435-8205 Primitive and RV campsites are available at Holbrook Campground. Reservations can be made at Fort Stewart’s Low Country Adventure Center.
25. Lotts Island Campground and MarinaLotts Island Road, off Rio Road Hunter Army Airfield
Phone: 1 (912) 315-9354 Lotts Island has basketball and volleyball courts, a fishing pier and cleaning station, a playground, picnic tables, grills, boat slips, and primitive and RV campsites. Visit the website for information on campsite reservations and fees.
Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield Shooting Ranges
26. Paintball Course574 Fort Stewart Road 48 S. Building 8323A, Fort Stewart
Phone: 1 (912) 435-8213 Challenge your friends at Fort Stewart’s paintball course. Equipment rentals and paintball supplies are available. The course is open to patrons 8 years of age and older. Youth under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
27. Shooting Sports at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army AirfieldAccess to the rifle, pistol, archery, and skeet and trap ranges is granted through the Low Country Adventure Centers. For more information on the ranges and their regulations, visit the Stewart-Hunter Family and MWR website.
Attractions Near Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield
28. The Historic Savannah Theatre222 Bull St. Savannah, GA 31401
Phone: 1 (912) 233-7764 Built in 1818, the Historic Savannah Theatre is one of the oldest continually operating theaters in the country. The venue now operates as a stage theater and presents multiple shows throughout the year. For a list of upcoming shows and performances, visit the theater’s website.
29. Savannah Historic DistrictMuseums, monuments, historic landmarks and homes, parks, shops, restaurants, and more can be found throughout the Savannah Historic District. Take a guide-led tour, ride a ferry along the Savannah River, climb aboard a horse-drawn carriage, or hop on the trolley and take in all the sights. For more information on Savannah’s historic district, check out the Visit Savannah tourism website.
30. Tybee Island802 First St. Tybee Island, GA 31328
Phone: 1 (912) 786-5444 A popular vacation spot, Tybee Island is a barrier island near Savannah. This 3-square-mile hot spot has white sand beaches, bike trails, shops, restaurants, and lots of opportunities for fun in the sun.
ConclusionFort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield are full of fun opportunities, and the surrounding area offers even more things to do. Whether you want to camp under the stars of the Georgia sky, play a round of bingo, or explore historic Savannah, you're sure to make plenty of wonderful new memories.
The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and military discounts